Crossing incidents up for second month in a row
Six Canadians were seriously injured in crossings incidents across the country in July 2019. That’s six times the number of incidents compared to July 2018.
Staying safe around railway tracks is all about knowing, and obeying, the rules. Follow these tips to ensure your next encounter with tracks is a safe one.
- When approaching tracks in a car, slow down so you can stop safely, if necessary.
- Turn off any music, ask passengers to be quiet, open the window and listen for trains.
- Look both ways before continuing.
- If a train is coming, stop behind any stop line, gate, or no closer than five metres from the nearest rail.
- Only cross tracks once you’re sure all trains have passed.
Let’s work together to spread the rail safety message. Share these tips with your family and friends. And visit our website to find other helpful resources.