Recap: thanks Canada for a successful Public-Rail Safety Week!
Public-Rail Safety Week 2013 wrapped up on Sunday. Operation Lifesaver volunteers and partners shared our important rail-safety message far and wide via various events, media releases and social media campaigns.
[caption id="attachment_7096" align="alignright" width="350"]
Lego display at VIA Rail train station event in Halifax[/caption]
From crossing blitzes and other events to heartfelt pleas from families who have had loved ones killed by trains, the media reported on a variety of stories throughout the week:
- Harper government launches Rail Safety Week with new funding for railway crossing improvements , Transport Canada media release
- Safety on the Tracks, KFJC TV, Kamloops, British Columbia
- CN staying on track with rail safety: Recent fatalities have put focus on local tracks, Chilliwack Times, British Columbia
- Airdrie grandmother continues rail safety crusade, Airdrie Echo, Alberta
- Vigilance increased for Rail Safety Week, Saskatoon StarPhoenix, Saskatchewan
- Railway accidents, fatalities increase in Sask, Regina Leader-Post, Saskatchewan
- Rail deaths on the rise in Canada, North Bay Nugget, Ontario
- Veteran railway cop sees the victims behind the stats (with video), Windsor Star, Ontario
- Public-Rail Safety Week underway across country, Sudbury Northern Life, Ontario
- Burlington council seeking action on train safety issue, The Hamilton Spectator, Ontario
- Rail Safety Week, Amherst Daily News, Nova Scotia
- Rail Safety Week underway: Special enforcement blitzes are being held at rail crossings in New Brunswick this week, News 91.9, Moncton, New Brunswick
Check out this video of a mock collision that was staged in Saint John on May 1, 2013. Approximately 200 Saint John students attended.
We also asked our Twitter followers and partners to share their Public-Rail Safety Week messages using the hashtag #prsw2013. Check out what they had to say on Storify:
[View the story "Public-Rail Safety Week takes the twitterverse by storm!" on Storify]
We are pleased with the public engagement during this year’s Public-Rail Safety Week. Education is key to our mission to prevent railway-related injuries and deaths and we thank everyone who helped share the message!