Don’t let a trick near the tracks be the death of you
Thinking of pulling a prank on or near the tracks this Halloween? Think again—highway-railway crossings and train tracks are extremely dangerous and no place to play around. That scare you are seeking might just scare you to death—literally.
Stay rail safe this Halloween
[caption id="" align="alignright" width="308"]
Photo credit: thegreattrainshop.com[/caption]
Should your trick-or-treating this Friday take you near the tracks, follow these tips to ensure you make it home alive:
- STOP no closer than 5 metres from the nearest rail of the railway track.
- LOOK both ways for approaching trains. Remember, where there is more than one track, there could be more than one train. Trains can travel on any track, in either direction at any time!
- LISTEN for approaching trains.
- Never play on or take short cuts across railway property.
- Railway property is private property and it is illegal to trespass on it.
Remember: Harmless fun can quickly turn to tragedy near the tracks—be safe!
This Halloween, wherever the night takes you, make smart choices when you’re near the tracks, and encourage those around you to do the same.
The good news is being safe doesn’t have to be boring.
Consider these alternatives to that prank you were planning:
- Train stations are some of the most haunted places in the world because of the thousands of people that come and go in them. Check these haunted train stations out. Just reading the stories will give you the creeps!
- Scare yourself and your friends by taking a haunted tour.
- Watch some classic horror movies to get your blood pumping.
Want to know more about what you can do to make the safe choice around the tracks? Take a peek at our wealth of rail safety resources
and articles, some specifically for nights like Halloween
Have a spooky and safe Halloween and remember to always LOOK! LISTEN! LIVE!